Wednesday 8 March 2017

THE IBIS

The Ibis

The ibis is a sacred bird

So idle, happy, by the Nile;
It speaks, and each wise word
A scribe records – and puts on file.

“Oh, Ibis, dear, won’t you sing

Instead of speaking non-stop?
It really would be quite the thing
If you could jazz, and pop, and bebop.”

The ibis turns and irked, he scowls,
Then thoughtfully replies:
“Songs that you seek are for the fowls,
The owls, and chicks, and gadflies!

I am the bird of Thoth, you know,

And have proper decorum;
I speak, orate, recite and crow
So finely in the forum!”

“I beg your pardon, Ibis, Sir,

For being so light and shallow,
I, to your wisdom will defer
And be no longer callow.”

This post is part of the Outdoor Wednesday meme,

and also part of the Wordless Wednesday meme,
and also part of the ABC Wednesday meme.

4 comments:

  1. wonderful birds indeed


    Have a nice ABC-day / -week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/20-i/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem. I have posted some ibis today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful prose and such a majestic bird,
    I would love to see an IBIS perhaps, nestling
    in the reeds along the banks of the Nile.
    I know he's very handsome but that doesn't
    mean he should be so stuck up !
    I suddenly thought of Cleopatra and the IBIS
    strutting around her gardens in the Royal
    Palace in Egypt !
    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete